Health/Safety Efforts for the 2021-2022 School Year
Big Spring ISD will follow the guidance of local and state health authorities as well as the CDC (as deemed appropriate for our area), including but not limited to, the following:
- Big Spring ISD will continue to follow Texas mandates and TEA guidelines in order to ensure the health and safety for all of our students and staff (subject to change as announced by Governor Abbott and/or TEA).
- Communal water fountains are not to be used. Parents are encouraged to send a water bottle WITH the student’s name on it to school every day. Unlabeled water bottles left at school will be thrown away.
- There will be hand sanitizer at each entrance and students, teachers, and staff are encouraged to use it whenever they enter the building.
- There will be hand sanitizer in every classroom, and students and teachers will be encouraged to use it frequently.
- Elementary students will engage in frequent hand washing in addition to washing hands after using the restroom and before eating.
- Janitorial services will thoroughly clean the building after each school day.
- Throughout the day, additional cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces that are touched in common throughout the day will be frequently cleaned by janitorial staff and campus staff (door handles, restrooms, etc).
HEALTH SCREENING (Updated Aug. 22, 2022)
Health screening is important in supporting safety and physical health when accessing district facilities.
What happens if a student or staff member tests positive for COVID-19?
In accordance with the Aug. 1, 2022, updated guidelines released by TEA and the DSHS https://dshs.texas.gov/covid19readmission/
Staff Members who test positive for COVID-19:
- If symptomatic, these staff members may return after 5 days have passed since the first symptoms occurred, are fever free, and other symptoms have improved.
- For those with no symptoms (asymptomatic), at least 5 days after the day they tested positive.
Students who test positive for COVID-19:
- If symptomatic, these students may return after five days have passed since the first symptoms occurred, are fever free, and other symptoms have improved.
- For those students with no symptoms (asymptomatic), at least five days after the day they tested positive.
SOCIAL, EMOTIONAL, OR MENTAL HEALTH CONCERNS
How will you address social, emotional, or mental health concerns?
- Counselors are available on all campuses to support students academically, socially, and emotionally and can provide mental health support or resources for families who may be struggling emotionally. Counselors at the K-4 campuses visit classrooms regularly to provide Guidance and Character lessons. BSISD partners with Region 18 to provide counselors with appropriate SEL training throughout the year as available.
- BSISD has an MOU with Texas Tech University Health Science Center to provide psychological and psychiatric services (including grief) to our students in need, free of charge. The link can be found on the BSISD website and includes:
- CATR: On-campus support for students in grades 4 -12 struggling with changes in behavior, mood, relationships, or experiencing thoughts of suicide or self-injury.
- Child Psychiatry Access Network: Off-campus support for students in grades K-12 who may be dealing with anxiety, depression, autism, ADHD, grief, abuse, or other mental/behavioral health concerns. If a student needs to schedule a counseling session, please contact your child’s home campus.
- Additionally, BSISD uses ARP ESSER III funds to partner with Communities in Schools of the Permian Basin to provide an Outreach Coordinator for both BSJH and BSHS to help address students’ social, emotional, or mental health concerns.
- BSISD purchased and uses Go Guardian as part of its technology management plan, providing a robust and flexible alerting system based on screenshots, the phase of suicide and self-harm ideation, historical activity, and highlighted text in order to bring in the right school responders, help notify parents after hours, and even provide students directly with resources.